THE EAGLES VOICE BLOG

WELCOME TO "THE EAGLES VOICE BLOG"

Saturday 11 January 2020

Meet Dele Alli the Yoruba prince who dumped Nigeria for England (photos)



Have you ever looked at Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Dele Alli and wonder with the name on his jersey why is he not playing for the Super Eagles of Nigeria?
A deep dive into his background shows that he is of Nigerian origins despite playing for the Three Lions of England.

When the Super Eagles took on England in a preparatory game for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia at Wembley Stadium. The Nigeria supporters club rained boos on Alli which was in a way surprising for the home support.

Alli was born to a Nigerian father Kehinde in Milton Keynes, United Kingdom, and the full meaning of Dele is Bamidele which is a common Yoruba name. The frustration of the Nigerian supporters was however uncalled for as Alli was not invited to play for the Super Eagles even though there was some recruitment in the latter stages he chose England in a heartbeat.

He had a very close relationship with Kehinde and relocated with him to Houston, Texas. Alli was his father’s best man when he married his second wife Lola in 2006.

According to a report by the Mirror, Alli’s dad and mum Denise separated three years after his birth which eventually led to the Tottenham star discovering his roots.

 In the report, the split of both parents affected Alli but served as fuel for his ambition.
His father Kehinde said, “It was hard for me to let him go but I knew it was the best thing for him and his ambition.

Alli is not oblivious to his Nigerian roots, his father Kehinde claims he spent close to a full year in the country’s commercial capital Lagos where he lived with close relatives. The pictures show he also went to school as His father who remarried to a Nigerian Lola claims Alli is aware he is of royal background and a prince in the Yoruba land.

Alli had to go through some difficulties at an early age with resources not available which led to his adoption.

His mum Denise said, “When he was about 13 Dele began training at MK Dons five days a week. So for convenience, he began staying at his best friend’s house during the week, before coming home on weekends. It was hard to let him live away from home, but we didn’t have a car and I was finding it hard to get him to training myself.”

“It has been said that I was suffering from alcoholism and I gave him up because I couldn’t look after him, but that is a lie. I wanted to give him the best chance of achieving his dream, but he was still my son and I was there for him whenever he needed me.

“He was never adopted by his friend’s parents – I would not have allowed it. My kids are my world.”

At 16, Alli signed his first professional contract with MK Dons which led to him not relying on his parents for much and led to the distance between him and his mum.
She said, “He was in great spirits and said, ‘I love you mum’. I had no idea that would be the last time I would see him. It still leaves me shocked.”

Denise reiterated the fact that she has been trying to see Ali since then but he has been ignoring her.

She said, “I waited outside after the match and when Dele came out I quietly said to him. ‘Dele... it’s me... your mum.

“He didn’t stop. He just looked at me, said he was busy and drove off. I was in tears, it was heartbreaking.”

His father Kehinde who is based in Houston has made millions from oil, gas, and technology and made it clear that he is hurt Alli is ignoring him as he is not trying to reunite with him because he is now successful.

He said, “Not being able to see or speak to him hurts a lot. Myself and his brothers watch all his games on TV and they ask me, ‘Why won’t he see us?,” Kehinde said.

“I can’t understand that. He lived with me for years and I have always been there for him both emotionally and financially.

“Up until he was an adult I paid for every holiday he ever went on and all his costs. I bought him his first car when he passed his driving test. Now he is turning his back on the family who love him.

“I know some people will think we just want him for his money, but it couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m very wealthy in my own right and I don’t need a penny from Dele.

“I just want to be here for him and for him to know that I love him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow